Helping Injured Riders
Motorcycles and ATVs (All-terrain vehicles) are very popular in southern California. Especially because of California’s warm, sunny weather which makes it ideal for riders. Unfortunately, just like driving any other vehicle, there are accidents. But with motorcycle accidents the injuries are often much more severe.
Motorcycle Accidents in the U.S.
According to the Department of Transportation, in 2012, 4,957 motorcyclists were killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes, an increase of 7% from 20111. There were also 93,000 motorcyclists injured during 2012, a 15% increase from 2011. Clearly injuries are on the rise.
Aside from the rise in the number of injuries, the biggest issue with motorcycle accidents is the severity of the injuries. In 2012:
- Motorcyclists accounted for 15% of all traffic fatalities.
- Motorcyclists accounted for 18% of all occupant (driver and passenger) fatalities.
- 2,624 of all motorcycles (52%) involved in fatal crashes collided with another type of motor vehicle.
- In two-vehicle crashes, 75% of the motorcycles involved in motor vehicle traffic crashes collided with the vehicles in front of them. Only 7% were struck in the rear.
- Motorcycles are more likely to be involved in fatal collisions with fixed objects than other vehicles. 22% of motorcycles involved in fatal crashes collided with
- fixed objects, compared to 18% for passenger cars, 14% for light trucks, and 4% for large trucks.
- From 2003 to 2012, motorcyclists fatalities increased by 33%2.
Causes of Motorcycle and ATV Accidents
Some of the common causes of motorcycle and ATV accidents include the following:
- Negligence of the driver (41% of two-vehicle fatal crashes in 2012 were caused
- when the other vehicles were making a left hand turn3).
- Driving under the influence.
- Hazardous road conditions.
- Defective motorcycle parts.
Why You Need an Experienced Motorcycle Accident Attorney
After an accident, an insurance company may be willing to settle your claims. However, their job is to pay you as little as possible. So while it may seem enticing to accept a settlement, you are likely being provided a lot less compensation than you deserve. Motorcycle and ATV accidents cause devastating injuries, which lead to large medical bills, loss of income, property damage, and pain and suffering.
Contact Koohanim Law Firm and one of our experienced injury attorneys will help you get recovery for all of your damages. Let us negotiate with the insurance adjusters. We have the expertise and experience to obtain a higher recovery on your behalf than you would otherwise be able to obtain by yourself.